Job Description for Position: CS1
CentraleSupelec (CS), is seeking to appoint a high-calibre doctoral candidate to join the Marie
Skłodowska-Curie Doctoral Network ‘joInt wireless commuNicaTion and sEnsinG by hologRaphic
surfAce TranscEivers’ (INTEGRATE). The selected candidate will work under the supervision of
Prof. Marco Di Renzo.
About the INTEGRATE project
As the standardization of 5G wireless networks progresses, the research community has started
focusing on what 6G will be. Motivated by the need of ensuring high data-rates while at the same
time saving spectrum a major technology that has been proposed for 6G is the integration of
communication and sensing services in the same infrastructure. This enables wireless networks to
perceive the surrounding environments triggering new services and leading to a more efficient use of
resources. The INTEGRATE project focuses on the theoretical, algorithmic, and architectural
foundations of integrated communication and sensing networks, developing the first open access
network-level simulator for joint communication and sensing. To this end, a new implementation of
wireless transceiver is proposed, which leverages the use of reconfigurable holographic surfaces
(RHS) and allows the integration of communication and sensing with remarkable performance while
at the same time reducing the energy consumption. Specifically, INTEGRATE will: 1) develop
reconfigurable holographic surfaces capable of supporting joint communication and sensing tasks
and that can be integrated in wireless transceivers with minimal cost and energy requirements; 2)
Characterize the fundamental performance limits of integrated communication and sensing networks,
developing an algorithmic framework and protocol suite to approach these limits; 3) Build the first
open access software simulation platform for joint communication and sensing networks.
Position title: CS1 – Electromagnetic modeling and design of RHSs for wireless radio transceivers.
Research project: In order to analyze the electromagnetic behavior of RHS-based transceivers, the
usual plane-wave approximation that holds in the far field regime must be abandoned. This project is
focused on a near field analysis of the electromagnetic field that impinges on the metasurface at the
transceiver. To this end, Smythe’s vectorial theory of diffraction in the near-field of the RHS will be
employed. Based on this methodological framework, an equivalent surface impedance for the RHS
will be derived and the mutual coupling of the elements and tuning circuits will be taken into account
through a mutually-coupled impedance approach. The objective is to develop accurate, but
mathematically tractable models for RHSs, which are suitable for mathematical optimization and for
evaluating the ultimate performance limits of jointly integrating sensing and communications.
Objectives: Develop electromagnetic-compliant models and designs for RHSs placed in wireless
PhD enrolment: The selected applicant will be enrolled into a Ph.D. program at CentraleSupelec –
Paris-Saclay University, France, while working to the project.
Location: CentraleSupelec, Plateau de Moulon – 3 rue Joliot Curie – 91192 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France.
Working Time: Full-time.
Duration: Fixed-term (3 years).
Salary: In agreement with the MSCA-DN financial regulations, including living, mobility, and
family allowances (https://ec.europa.eu/info/funding-tenders/opportunities/docs/2021-
Secondment: CS1 will spend a research stay of 8 months at another partner of the INTEGRATE
project. The planned secondment for CS1 is at Wave Up s.r.l., Italy.
1) An undergraduate degree and a postgraduate Master’s degree (or equivalent) in information
engineering, electronic or electrical engineering, mathematics, electromagnetics, or a physical
2) Solid background in communication theory, wireless communications, signal processing.
Knowledge of electromagnetics, antennas, and metamaterials is a plus.
3) Excellent mathematical skills and background.
4) High proficiency in Matlab, and other programming software (e.g., Mathematica, CST, HFSS or
5) Excellent written and verbal communication, including presentation skills.
6) Highly proficient English language skills.
7) Excellent organizational skills, attention to details and the ability to meet deadlines.
8) Ability to think logically, create solutions and make informed decisions.
9) Willingness to work collaboratively in a research environment.
10) Willingness to travel and work across Europe.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Undertake postgraduate research in support of the agreed doctoral research project.
2) Work closely with the academic supervisors to ensure the compatibility of the individual project
with the overall goals of the INTEGRATE project.
3) Present and publish research in both academic and non-academic audiences.
4) Attend and participate to academic and non-academic conferences, events and seminars.
5) Attend and participate to all training events and supervisory meetings.
6) Be seconded to other network partners as necessary to fulfill the grant obligations.
7) Prepare progress reports and similar documents on research for funding bodies, as required.
8) Contribute to the delivery and management of the wider program, including attending and
participating in program committee meetings.
9) Actively contribute to the public engagement and outreach activities of the project.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the Researcher may be required to undertake other duties,
which are broadly in line with the above duties and responsibilities.
– The applicant must be a doctoral candidate (i.e. not already in possession of a doctoral degree at the
date of the recruitment).
– At the time of recruitment, the researcher must not have resided or carried out their main activity
(work, studies, etc.) in the country of their recruiting organization for more than 12 months in the
three years immediately prior to the recruitment date. Compulsory national service and/or short stays
such as holidays are not taken into account.
The selection and recruitment process will be in accordance with the European Charter and Code of
Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers. The recruitment process will be open, transparent,
impartial, equitable, and merit-based. There will be no overt/covert discrimination based on race,
gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, disability or age. To this end, the following selection
criteria will be considered:
2) Academic performance (diplomas, university transcripts, etc.)
3) Research and industrial experience
4) Awards and fellowships
5) Publications and patents
6) Research, leadership, and creativity potential
7) English knowledge
8) Other relevant items based on the specific candidate
The application deadline is August 15 th
, 2023. All applications will be analyzed after the application
deadline, and the shortlisted candidates will be invited to a teleconference interview. The selected
candidates are expected to be recruited during the period October 1st
, 2023 – February 29th
At the end of the selection process, all the applicants will be informed of the outcome of their
application by return email.
By applying for this position, the applicant:
1) give their consent to circulate their application and personal data within the members of
2) declare to fulfill the eligibility requirements defined by above.
3) agree to spend a secondment of at most 8 months in another partner of the INTEGRATE
4) agree that they will comply with the planned Ph.D. enrolment.
How to Apply
Each application must include the following material:
a) Curriculum vitae setting out the educational qualifications as well as any additional scientific
achievements and publications. The CV must clearly indicate the applicant’s vitae name, surname,
gender, date of birth, nationality, country of residence in the last three years).
b) Evidence of English proficiency.
c) Copy of Bachelor’s and Master’s certificates.
d) Copy of Bachelor’s and Master’s transcripts.
e) Any additional material useful for the assessment of the candidate (e.g., recommendation letters,
research project/statement in agreement with the requirements specified in previous text).
Applications must be submitted according to the following procedure:
1) Registration and submission of the application material to the INTEGRATE recruitment
2) Parallel application and submission of the application material to the attention of Prof.
Marco Di Renzo, to be sent to email@example.com.
Note: Both steps 1) and 2) are mandatory for the application to be considered as admissible.
For more information, please contact Prof. Marco Di Renzo (firstname.lastname@example.org).